Title: Global Underground Select #2
Label: Global Underground
Released: Out Now !
Genre: House / Progressive / Techno
Over the past 20 years, Global Underground has firmly established itself as one of the leading establishments on the dance music stage. You’d have to head back to 1996 for their first official release as part of the beloved City Series which of course was a then reflection of one of the late, great, Tony De Vit’s sets in Tel Aviv. Of course, many more of these City releases were to follow, showcasing DJ’s like John Digweed, Sasha, Nick Warren and Paul Oakenfold to name just a few.
These notorious mixes spawned a whole new breed of compilations from the GU stable. From the NuBreed Series, to Electric Calm, to Sasha’s Fundacion mix albums. Andy Horsfield and James Todd had visions, dreams, to be the best of the best, the cream of the crop so-to-speak and their hard work has certainly paid off. 20 years later and here we are with a shiny, brand new double album to get our listening gear around.
Some of the world’s biggest and best producers have lent their productions to this album. The heavyweights like Voorn, Schories, Olander and Solee make an appearance with their own brand of house music and this is just CD1! From the pounding bassline and ride cymbals of Joris’s opener into the slightly hypnotic storytelling vocals of Ewan Pearson’s remix of Ten Fe, the opening disc seems to have all the bases covered in terms taking the listener on a musical journey through ambiance, melody, moods and unrelenting euphoria.
Into CD2 we go then, and we kick off with a breathtaking opener from dance music legends, The Orb, this mix certainly seems, to me at least, to take on a deeper edge than the first. There’s undoubtedly some magical moments here from Raw District, BOg, Just Her and Kolsch. This second mix certainly has a spellbinding flow about it and absolutely had me gripped from beginning to end, beautifully crafted, mesmerising house music is the best way I can describe this CD.
Any dance music fan that has been brought up with Global Underground for the past two decades will instantly know exactly what to expect from this album. Blood, sweat, passion and dedication is a given thing with these boys and they don’t show any signs of packing this in anytime soon. Long may Global Underground continue!
01. Joris Voorn – Esquape
02. Ten Fe – Turn (Ewan Pearson Remix)
03. Oliver Schories – Metris
04. Animal Trainer & Manuel Moreno – MDMA
05. Pete Oak – The Chase (Rafael Cerato’s Cinematic Remix)
06. Weekend Heroes – D-Compression
07. Darkline – Supervolcano
08. Tube & Berger feat Richard Judge – Ruckus
09. FOTN – Sky Marching
10. Arturo Hevia – Raices
11. Jeremy Olander – Pinkerton (Finnebassen Remix)
12. Solee – Hyper
13. Rex The Dog – Teufelsberg
14. Sebastien Leger – Goliath
15. Moderat – Running (Amé Remix)
01. The Orb – Just Because I Really Really Luv Ya
02. Bob Moses – Tearing Me Up (Tale Of Us Remix)
03. George Yammine & Luke Santos – Pleasently Painful (Ryan Davis Revision)
04. Saccao & Different Me feat Thomas Gandey – Ship Of Fools (Florian Kruse Remix)
05. Joal feat Piermaria Chapus – The Magician (Several Definitions Remix)
06. Raw District feat Jinadu – Taking You Down (Habischman Remix)
07. BOg – Borders
08. James Kininmonth – Tunnel Vision
09. Just Her – Follow You Down
10. Squire – Philanthropy
11. Blausch – Parallel Hymns (Of The Moon Vox Remix)
12. Solarc – Dust City
13. Purple Disco Machine – Walls (Monte Remix)
14. Room 99 – Fever
15. Kolsch – Grey
16. Booka Shade – In White Rooms (Jonas Rathsman Reprise)