The first professional stereo audio interface for iPad & Mac
Apogee Duet is an award-winning audio interface, headphone amp and MIDI interface making it easy to create professional recordings anywhere on your iPod touch, iPhone, iPad or Mac. With Apogee’s legendary digital audio conversion and world-class mic preamps, Duet is the best way to capture your music with incredible dimension and detail.
The new Duet for iPad and Mac features special circuitry designed to deliver professional performance for iPad use along with low latency USB 2.0 performance for Mac. And with the addition of MIDI I/O you can connect and power a Core MID compatible keyboard/controller while using Duet with your iPad or iOS device.
• First professional stereo audio interface for iPad
• Direct digital connection to iPod touch, iPhone, iPad
• Works with new iPhone 5, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini
(Apple’s Lighting to 30-pin adapter required – Sold separately)
• Works with GarageBand, Auria, MultiTrack; Any Core Audio compatible app on iOS
• Works with GarageBand, Logic, Pro Tools, Ableton; Any Core Audio compatible app on Mac
• Low latency monitoring, complete input/output control with Apogee’s Maestro software (iOS & Mac)
• MIDI input/output (USB-A type connector)
• DC power supplies charge to iPod touch, iPhone or iPad
• USB 2.0 audio with 24-bit/192kHz A/D and D/A conversion
• 2 Analog inputs with world-class mic preamps and selectable 48v phantom power
• 2 Balanced analog line outputs
• 1 Independent 1/4” stereo headphone output
• Legendary Apogee sound quality
• Designed in California – Made in the U.S.A.
A difference you will hear.
From the mic preamps to the AD/DA converters and the clocking, Duet is best-in-class and cutting-edge Apogee technology. With components carefully selected in critical listening tests and a highly efficient circuit design, Duet was built by Apogee engineers to make a difference you can hear.
Pristine, next generation AD/DA converters
Duet’s AD/DA converters are designed to deliver the purest recordings and best listening experience possible. Duet’s efficient circuitry and state-of-the-art components provide a simplified signal path resulting in incredibly transparent recordings.
Smooth, detailed world-class mic preamps
Much like the AD/DA converters, Duet’s mic preamps feature the latest components and offer seamless click-free transitions as the gain increases and decreases throughout the incredible range of 0-75dB. This unprecedented feature allows you to dial in the perfect level, either with the controller knob or from within software, while delivering ultra-low noise and smooth, crisp detail. Duet’s mic pres are suitable for all dynamic, condenser or ribbon microphones, allowing you to capture any sound without compromise.
Soft Limit for protection from digital overs
An Apogee technology first introduced in 1992 on Apogee’s AD-500 converter, Soft Limit can be heard on countless platinum selling records around the world. Once a technology exclusively reserved for Apogee’s most advanced audio converters, Soft Limit is included in Duet and can be enabled in Apogee Maestro software.
This superior analog design prevents the digital clipping that causes distortion by instantaneously rounding off transient peaks before they hit the analog-to-digital converter. Soft Limit allows several more decibels of apparent level to be recorded while subtly providing an analog-like warmth to the sound.
Direct digital connection to iPad
Apogee ONE, Duet and Quartet for iPad and Mac feature special circuitry that makes a direct digital connection to iPad and iOS devices* and is certified by Apple’s MFi (Made for iOS) program.
*Connection to iOS devices with a Lightning port requires the
Lightning to 30-pin Adapter.
DC power charges iPad
In audio, adequate power is essential for excellent sound quality. With a direct digital connection and an external power source, ONE, Duet and Quartet are able to charge your iPad while you record so your work will not be interrupted.
Duet’s breakout cable includes 2 combination mic/instrument connectors (XLR and 1/4” built into a single connector) and 2 balanced 1/4” connectors for speakers. The elegant single cable-to-junction design allows for easy cable management and the locking connection to Duet is robust and stylish.
2 Analog Inputs
Duet’s 2 combination input connectors (XLR and 1/4”) allow you to connect microphones, guitars and keyboards or your favorite external mic preamps, compressors and EQs.
4 Analog Outputs
Duet includes 4 analog outputs. 2 1/4” balanced outputs for connection to speakers or outboard equipment and a separate, independently controlled 1/4” stereo headphone output.
With these 4 outputs it’s possible for a DJ to monitor a separate mix in headphones while sending a house mix to the club, a live performer to send a click track to in-ear monitors while sending a backing track to front-of-house, and a recording engineer to send a headphone mix to the performer while dedicating the main outputs to studio monitors.
Duet provides a single USB MIDI connection for your CoreMIDI compatible keyboard, synth, or DJ controller. This eliminates the need for an external MIDI interface and promotes an all-in-one music creation solution where Duet and Maestro manage all audio and MIDI. On iPad, Duet’s MIDI connection allows both Duet and a keyboard or DJ controller to be connected at the same time to the iPad’s single 30-pin dock port.
Breakout Box Accessory
Available as a separate accessory for Duet is a solidly built, aluminum breakout box with 2 1/4” inputs, 2 XLR inputs (for 2 simultaneous channels of input) and 2 balanced XLR outputs. The Duet breakout box features studio-quality I/O connectors and includes a 2 meter cable allowing you to extend your input and output connections away from your desktop and minimize cable clutter.
• Computer: Intel Mac 1.5GHz or faster
• Memory: 2 GB RAM minimum, 4 GB recommended
• OS: 10.6.8, 10.7.5 or greater
• Connection and power: Any available USB port on a Mac
• USB bus powered; DC power optional
(DC power supply included)
• iOS version: 5.1.1 or greater
• Connection: 30-pin dock connector
• DC power required (DC power supply included)
iOS device compatibility (Lightning connector)
• iPod touch* (5th generation)
• iPhone 5*
• iPad* (4th generation)
• iPad mini*
* Requires Apple’s Lightning to 30-pin adapter. Sold separately.
iOS device compatibility (30-pin connector)
• iPod touch (4th generation)
• iPhone 4s
• iPhone 4
• iPad (3rd generation)
• iPad 2
o Any Mac Core Audio compatible application
o Recommended apps: Logic, GarageBand, MainStage, Final Cut, Pro Tools, Ableton Live, Digital Performer, Studio One, Cubase, and Nuendo
o Any iOS Core Audio compatible app. Recommended apps: GarageBand, Auria
• USB 2.0 Mac and iOS audio interface
• 2 analog inputs:
o Combination Line (balanced +20dBu max)
o Mic/Instrument (+20dBu/+14dBu max)
o 2 Microphone preamps with up to 75dB of gain
o Selectable 48v phantom power, Soft Limit and phase invert
• 4 analog outputs:
o 2 Balanced line outputs, +20 dBu maximum output level
o 1 Independent 1/4” stereo headphone output
• MIDI connection (Core MIDI compatible; USB-A type connector)
• A/D and D/A conversion at 24-bit/192kHz
• Controller knob selects function, sets input and output level
• Top panel high resolution OLED display
• Two assignable top panel touch pads to control:
o Mute speakers, headphones or all outputs
o Dim speakers, headphones or all outputs
o Sum to mono speakers, headphones or all outputs
o Assign headphones to outputs 1-2, 3-4 or low latency mixer
o Clear Meters
• Apogee’s Maestro (Mac & iOS) app for advanced control
• EIN: 128dB (un-weighted) @ 60dB, 150Ohm input
• Max input level: +20dBu
• Input impedance: 3KOhm
• Max input level 14 dBu
• Input impedance: >2MOhm
• Max input level (+4dBu ref): +20dBu
• Max input level (-10dBV ref): +6dBV
• Input impedance: 5KOhm
• Freq resp 20 Hz -20Khz: > +/-0.2dB (@44.1Khz)
• Rel. THD + N: -106dB (@ 96Khz)
• Dyn. Range: 114dB (A-weighted)
• Max output level (+4dBu ref): +20dBu
• Max output level (-10dBV ref): +6dBV
• Line output impedance: 90 Ohm
• Max output level headphones: 19dBu
• HPH output impedance 30 Ohm.
• Freq resp 20Hz -20 Khz: > +/- 0.05dB (@44.1Khz)
• Rel. THD+N : -113dB (@96Khz)
• Dyn Range: 123dB (A-weighted)
In the box:
• Breakout Cable with:
o 2 Combination Line/Mic/Instrument Inputs
o 2 Balanced Line Outputs
• USB Cable
• 30-pin iOS cable
• Universal Power Adapter for US, UK and EU
• Quick Start Guide