This week’s mix of the week comes from Niels Orens. The mix was compiled for Max Cooper’s superb Mesh Series of mixes and is an esoteric and effervescent voyage into the soundbank of Niels Orens. A sound designer, composer and artist based in Brussels, Belgium. Driven by technology, Orens constantly searches for new ways to generate sound. The harmonious cohesion between his acoustic and electronic sounds results in a colourful palette that invokes joy for the senses.
Niels worked closely with Mesh during his tenure as Dolby Atmos mixing assistant with studio String & Tins, London and Mesh on the ‘Unspoken Words’ project by Max Cooper. Niels has added 2 original tracks featured in this mix to explore, along with other eclectic sounds reaching across the broad electronic spectrum.
“For the artwork of this Mesh Series, I wrote an algorithm that displaces all the things I love with noise. Because there are also two tracks of my latest EP ‘Make Null and Void’ in this mix I used the same technique here as I did for the artwork of the EP.”
“This generative approach is something I also use a lot in my own music productions, it gives me fresh ideas as well as outcomes that I otherwise would never come up with.” — Niels Orens
1. Too Tired to Sprint – Niels Orens
2. Floating Points – Karakul
3. Ben Frost – Theory Of Machines
4. Ocoeur – Glow
5. Avondlicht – Undertow
6. Non Square – Memory Palace
7. Niels Orens – Spikes
8. Against All Logic, Estado Unido, FKA twigs – Alucinao
9. Massive Attack – Redlight (Clark Remix)
10. Joy Orbison Ft. Mansur Brown – YI She’s Away
11. Indian Wells – Black Trees
12. Rob Clouth – The Vacuum State