Reworks are the result of a groundbreaking project that sees the rich catalogue of Decca Classics being opened to some of the world’s foremost electronic producers, including Henrik Schwarz, Patrice Bamuel, Kate Simko, Mr Scruff and Starkey.
Over the last few years, the lines between classical and contemporary electronic music have been blurred more than ever before. High-profile orchestral collaborations from some of the scene’s leading figures have brought the compatibility of these seemingly disparate genres into sharp focus, opening doors to new avenues of musical exploration. Composers including Satie, Bach, Rachmaninov, Beethoven and Reich created some of the most timeless classic music ever made: remixing these compositions is no small undertaking, but the results are nothing short of breathtaking.
Ranging from the experimental to the more recognisable 4/4 structures of house and techno, Reworks elicits the full range of emotion – from the heartbreaking to the ecstatic – over the course of 17 extraordinary tracks. Taking on Satie’s celebrated ‘Gnossienne No.1’, former Planet Mu and Ninja Tune artist Starkey starts with little more than the stripped-back piano of the original piece, before steadily building to an epic peak through increasingly frenetic percussion and soaring fluorescent synths.
Mr Scruff delivers a gleefully idiosyncratic 13-minute reinterpretation of Reich’s ‘6 Pianos’, while Fort Romeau demonstrates why label’s such as Running Back and Ghostly international hold him in such high regard with a poignant deep house version of ‘4 Preludes Flasques’. Ultimately, every remix included on Reworks delivers, resulting in an eclectic, unique and inspiring collection of music. Reworks is out now on Decca. Reworks EP 1 featuring remixes from Starkey, Kate Simko and Martin Buttrich is out now.
01. Grieg – Peer Gynt (Death of Aase) (Solomon Grey’s Paradise Lost Rework)
02. Bach – Air On G String (Wolfgang Voigt Ambient Rework)
03. Bach – Prelude and Fugue in C (Ulrich Schnauss Rework)
04. Fauré – Requiem (Sanctus) (Extended Faultline Rework)
05. Satie – Gnossienne No.1 (Starkey Remix)
06. Beethoven – Moonlight Sonata (Sébastien Tellier Rework)
07. Debussy – String Quartet (Assez Vif Et Bien Bien Rythmé) (Henrik Schwarz Rework)
08. Reich – Six Pianos (Mr Scruff Extended Rework)
09. Schubert – Schwanengesang (Standchen) (Kate Simko Remix)
10. Satie – 4 Préludes flasques (Fort Romeau Rework)
11. Holst – The Planets (Neptune) (Thomas Gandey’s Extended Cosmix Rework)
12. Bartók – Hungarian Sketches (Bear Melody) (Brigante Rework)
13. Satie – Gnossienne No.4 (Martin Buttrich Extended Remix)
14. Bach – Air On A G String (Wolfgang Voigt Wassermann Rework)
15. Sakamoto – Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence (Francesco Tristano Rework)
16. Rachmaninov – Vespers “Bogoroditse Devo” (All-Night Vigil) (Alberto Bof Rework)