RØDHÅD has continuously pushed the boundaries of modern techno to new hypnotic and theatrical heights on his Dystopian party-turned-label imprint, where he released his debut Anxious back in 2017. This time, RØDHÅD tunes into a place of reflection and reformation on his most avant-garde project to date: WSNWG – BACK TO ZERO. Intended to provide a space for solo releases, the imprint comes at a crucial turning point, as society circles in on itself during the pandemic.
RØDHÅD christens the label with MOOD, his first ambient experimentalist release, comprised of his own solo archival material mostly from 2017/2018, working on a plane of spontaneity, devoid of set structures. The result is a life-giving, intimate and solipsistic work. Awash with field recordings, droning loops and subtle granulations, the sparse soundscapes on the 18- track album are deeply profound and satisfying. Crafting emotive textures through detailed layering of ethereal pads and simple synth melodies on ‘When They Returned After Midnight’ reflects the producer’s meditative sensibilities, whilst more beat-driven tracks such as ‘He Didn’t Seem The Kind of Guy Who Would’ and ‘Pigeons Dancing On The Roof’ employ trip-hop beats atop washed synths and textural loops for a more downtempo affair. The album often has the dynamics of a sci-fi film score; the slow-building distortion on ‘A Huge Plume of Ash Rose From a Volcano’ carries a profound weight and substance, whilst the eerie ‘Like Sleepwalkers Ghosting Through A Dream’ breathes as if it had a life of its own.
Collating a myriad of emotions through this sonic venture, RØDHÅD demonstrates his kaleidoscopic nature as a producer of atmospheric and ambient soundscapes, as well as his legacy provider of dance floor energies. The album will have unique artwork contributed by DJ & producer Silent Servant.
MOOD will be available to download digitally for free on May 7th, with a vinyl pressing following later on July 10th. As an illuminating gesture in these times, this album will be free to download for all, ensuring a sense of unity through the release.
1. A Huge Plume Of Ash Rose From A Volcano
2. Flying Between The Clusters Of Trees Without Buoyoant, Floating Wing Beats
3. He Was Beginning To Despair Of Ever Knowing
4. Like Sleepwalkers Ghosting Through A Dreamscape
5. Lions In The Supermarket Don‘t Sound Like Humans
6. Misty Fog Covering The Side Window
7. That Appeal Has Been Put Into Suspense By Reason
8. He Or She Will Then Drill Into The Pulp To Reach The Root Canal
9. Into Your Brain – A News Report Said The Line Carried 13,000 Volts of Electricity
10. No Forms To Fill Out, No Instant Check, No Waiting Period
11. The Film is About A Clown Who Leaves His Circus And Lives In A Building Near The Railway Station
12. She Wanted Her To Grow Up In A Nice House With A Backyard, So She Could Play
13. The Drawings Were Rearranged, As If By Magic
14. He Didn‘t Seem The Kind Of Guy Who Would Just Get Talking To A Stranger
15. Pigeons Dancing On The Roof
16. When They Returned Home After Midnight
17. I Wanted To Hold Her Close And Whisper In Her Ear That She‘d Be Fine
18. Good Bye My Love