Having graced such labels as Relief Records, Moda Black, Crosstown Rebels and Pets Recordings, Walker & Royce have been keeping people dancing since the duo formed in 2011. Walker & Royce’s signature production is in exceptional form on their solo tracks, such as “Why Tho”, “Warkin It”, “Best Track Ever” and “Sunday”. The way they contrast heavy, low-end bass and beats with pristine melodies arises from the first thing they ask themselves when they fire up their studio: “Will we play this?”
The pair has also continued to push the boundaries of their minted formula for a bigger purpose, enlisting several distinct vocalists and collaborators to captivating effect. The legendary Green Velvet lends his vocal talent to “Rub Anotha Dub”, and longtime friend Dances With White Girls appear on two memorable tracks, including the hit single “Take Me To Your Leader”.
Other collaborators such as Sophie Grophy, OnCue, Forrest and JPatt each introduce their own individual elements to the album, rounding out the varied tones and feelings that comprise the “Self Help” masterpiece. The road to self-discovery is filled with many bumps and obstacles, but with “Self Help”, Walker & Royce have proven that they’ve got the keys and in the driver’s seat.
Now we count down the Top Ten tracks that shaped their summer this year!
1. Christian Martin – Molar Roller – Trippy Ass Technologies
This track is epic and great for a left turn in our sets. And on a proper system…… WOW!
2. Bicep – Glue – Ninja Tune
These guys are so good at creating moments with their tracks and this one is not exception. This track is beautiful.
3. Walker & Royce feat. Dances With White Girls – Take Me To Your Leader – Dirtybird
Shameless self promo alert… Thanks to Justin Martin this track was all over the place last summer.
4. Gorillaz feat. Vince Staples – Ascension (Nic Fanciulli remix) – Parlaphone
This is a party starting record, we played a lot over the summer.
5. Justin Jay – Time – Fantastic Voyage
This is off Justin’s album which is incredible. This may not appear to be a obvious banger but its so next level.
6. Shadow Child – Ooh Tune – Food Music
Sometimes you need to play a piano jam!
7. Marlena Shaw – Woman Of The Ghetto (Catz n Dogz remix) – Pets Recordings
A dope acid line drops halfway trough this one which really elevates it. As if the amazing Marlena Shaw vocal wasn’t enough.
8. BOT – Work That Shi – This Ain’t Bristol
Amazing club record from our homie BOT.
9. Sacha Robotti – Melato Nina – Dirtybird
This record is so cool, our favorite from Sacha.
10. Billy Love & Andy Toth – Thrillseekers (Chuck Daniels remix) – Pay It Say It
This remix is amazing, one of our favourite tracks from the entire year.